Friday, October 5, 2007

Sinai and Wagar

Wagar wrote: "I had read that the Bedouins in the Sinai are desperate for help with their young people, who allegedly are guilty of bombing resorts, smuggling and causing violence. "

I have been with the Bedouins. I pitched my tent with them. I shared meals with them. I rode a friecken camel (I don't like those beasts) with them through the desert where some places remain a law unto themselves...even today. And yes it did occur to me that my life was in the Bedouins hands and my ass was at the camels mercy. I'm here to tell you that the Bedouins are a kind and generous people but the camel can go and take a hike on the new highway!

"are guilty of smuggling"LOOOOOOOOOoooooooL NOOoooooooo! Not the Bedouins. My mother smuggles for goodness sakes. Every little old lady standing in a post office line in Europe smuggles. Anything from chocolate, to new clothing, to banned books, and who knows???????

"allegedly are guilty of bombing resorts, smuggling and causing violence" NO! It's the Russian mafia! It's the Luristan thugs! :P :lol:

For the Bedouins who live in the desert everyday survival takes up all their time. Bombing resorts is extremely time consuming. But the most important point: Tourism, resorts, hotels, diving centers, are bringing income to the Bedouins. They may be illiterate by western standards but being hunters they know a good thing when they smell it.

"Destruction of natural resources and littering is a world-wide problem."
"Mt. Everest is littered with the trash."
"outer space with all sorts of metal objects floating around"

Wagar...I have read your posts and you sound like an intelligent educated person. But to compare the destruction of natural resources with littering is down right ignoramus. To compare Mt. Everest and outer space with the health hazzards of the Sinai with a human population I suppose is due to inexperience and lack of knowledge.

"Over-population is the number one problem in my view"
I agree. The tourist population in the Sinai continues to swell with an infrastructure that has not kept up with development. Ok! I'm feeling a brain drain coming on. In short:
Sinai...add an over-populated tourist industry... mix sewage with water...add desert winds and you will come up with sands polluted by garbage and sewage waste. Enter Dr. Waheed Halim Doss!

"You reep what you sow" (is that from the Bible?)
I'm on to you Wagar;-)

No comments: